- Origin and History of Building
Origin and History of Building
Yan Hai Gong was built on Dao Guang Qing Dynasty sixth year (AD 1826); domestic residents Wang, Zhang, Wu, Yu, Li and other various name sages realized the prosperity of Zhongli street, and the population is gradually increasing; in order to make the residents have a spiritual soul comfort, the gentry of thirteenth villages in Zhongli have been invited to discuss the temple construction. Originally Guanyin Bodhisattva was enshrined, and then in view of frequency in the business travelers, in AD 1867 from the Chaotien temple in Peikang divided the Goddess Matsu as a major deity of the temple to bless business travelers’ peace, and the prosperous enrolling of coils and incense.
Tongzhi ninth year (1870 AD), the initial construction of the temple is simply poor and cannot bear the erosion of wind and rain, so the residents initiated the reconstruction. The rebuilding completed on Tongzhi tenth year, and officially named "Yan Hai Gong" in the same time and signed a " Hai Guo Chang chun" board. It is a three halls style temple and has been rebuilt five times so far. As the coils and incense is continuing, new street temple has become an important religious center for local residents for a long time.
The architectural decoration of Yan Hai Gong is diverse and rich; plaque and couplets; stone sculpturing and woodcarvings; it is the most ancient temple in Zhongli city; towering Yan Hai Gong is standing on the new street and smoke incensing; amiable Matsu is the spirit separating from Peikang with the cymbidium like fragrance. Yan Hai Gong located on new street, so everybody calls it as the new street temple, and the signboard and car park area were built in AD 2009. It is the landscape indicator in Zhongli.
Yan Hai Gong majority enshrined the Heavenly Holly Mother, also known as Queen of Heaven, Tin Hau empress, Goddess, Goddess empress, Meizhou mother, and Matsu. So, Yan Hai Gong is a lovely and kindly place for population.